Kogi United recorded a hard fought 1-0 victory over FRSC FC in the Matchday Two of the Nigeria National League, NNL played on Saturday.

Matthew Idoko converted a 15th minute spot kick to give his side a needed victory in a pulsating encounter. Kogi United almost took the lead within five minute into the game when John Jerome arrived late to tuck in a cross from John John. 
Both players combined well again two minutes afterwards to initiate another attack but this time it was John whose effort goes wide.

The Road Safety boys were still on the back foot as United kept pressing as they search for the early opener. That finally arrived in the eleventh minutes when Matthew Idoko did a brilliant footwork to dribble past two markers before releasing a through ball to Iwuji into FRSC's box, but the creative left back was fouled by Ogbole Sunday before taking aim at goal and the referee wasted no time to point to the spot.

Idoko would stepped forward to scored the eventual penalty after goalkeeper Stephen Azubuike guessed wrong to dive the other way. The Road Managers however stepped up the game after the goal and gave a good midfield fight with their hosts but couldn't get a chance to break Kogi United defense marshaled by Tenimu Abubakar and Sunday Roberts till the end of the first stanza.

The business end of the game began with United showing real potency to increase their tally but FRSC employed a physical combat tactics to frustrate United from breaking them down. Michael Bolaji did a one-two pass around with Chatto to initiate an attach for United in the 48th minute but the latter's shot goes inches wide.

FRSC's best man in the field, Anyamkyegh Gary troubled United defense on several occasions but his attackers weren't there to receive the final as United pick up the pieces in defense. United almost doubled their lead with just quarter of an hour to end the game when substitute Adegbayo Ayuba's tucked in effort from Idoko's cross was saved by Azubuike's face. And the FRSC almost level up the score when new import Edeh Phillip had his effort parried wide by goalkeeper Salisu Ogbe and all effort by United to increase the goal tally proved abortive as FRSC defended well till the last minute if the game.

Acting Head Coach of Kogi United Abubakar Musa disclosed that it was a tough game but commended his boys for a near perfect performance.
He said United would improve as the games goes on.

"It was a tough game, FRSC are a very physical side and you can see they were too hard on my players but we were able to get the most important thing from the game, which is victory, the attack wasn't really sharp today but we will improve on that as the league goes on," Musa said, His counterpart from FRSC, Akinade Onigbinde described the defeat as disappointing, adding that his side could have done better in the game.

Kogi United with three points from two games would draw bye for the match as a result of Giwa FC's expulsion while FRSC will prepare to take on Kwara United in Abuja.

Post a Comment

Blog Designed By CodeHead Copy Rights 2015 . Powered by Blogger.